Friday, January 16, 2009

The potential of the Marines

I don't want to get into a political discussion . . . That is not my intent. As this is "MY" blog, I am going to post my feelings and thoughts, when I am on a public forum I refrain from truly voicing my opinions. But this is MY place to move though the things going on in my life right now. I don't want to be rude or offend, but . . . I am entitled to my opinions, and will post them freely on this blog. If they offend you, please feel free NOT to read my blog any more.

Tony has been thinking seriously about going into the marines. And it hurts my heart, first of all, I don't want him to go, secondly I don't want him to be away from me, and third there is a war, and I don't want him to be in a war.

I'm a bit of a pacifist, and "know" in my heart there has to be a better way of dealing with other countries than fighting with them. On the other side I know that there has got to be a military, and I'm happy and proud that there are people serving our country. I just don't want it to be one of mine . . . I know, that's hypocritical . . . but that's the way I feel. Maybe someday I will feel differently about it, but today, with the potential of MY boy going, I am feeling very hypocritical.

Typically, all the people in my life are very supportive, They know I'm not a big military fan, I just want to keep all my people close to me, not off in some other country fighting a war and potentially dying.

I received a message this morning,

Cheri I have been following this and don't understand why you are so against the military. I realize that it is scary to send a child there but we have our rights because of these very brave people who have volunteered to serve. We live in a country where we are free to make these decisions. Other countries have forced kids from a very young age to do this. If your son wants to do this. Support his decision with pride. He will grow by ways you can't even imagine while serving. It is amazing to me what maturity returns when our local boys leave and serve our country. I realize it has been a tough week but your son is doing a good thing by serving our country.

Humm . . . my first reaction to this is, "if you are so happy and proud, then you send your kids . . . but leave mine alone." I don't know if this person has children or if they are old enough to go into the military . . . but it's one thing to think of the potential of this happening "someday" and something different, when you are faced with the reality of it. The reality of your child being away~ that baby you nursed at your breast, who you taught to walk, watched grow and go to school . . . been with for every major life event, from the moment they were brought in to the world as a crying baby, to when they graduated from high school and walked up on the stage with pride and a bit of a heavy heart, That's MY baby!


Despite knowing that you did a good job and you raised a wonderful successful child, it's over, your "Baby" has grown up, and there is a bit of a heavy heart, at least for the parents who have loved their child/children, supported every step of the way their child/children, and really loved parenting. Which I have! I have loved every moment of being my boys mother . . . even when I didn't like them or the situation very much I have always love being a mom!

Maybe I'm having a hard time with this because I'm not ready for him to stop needing me, I'm not ready for him to be a "man" yet, I'm not ready for him to go off and start his grown up life, I'm not ready to sit and watch the news every day to make sure that there is no war where MY boy is, and to know that I'm not there to protect and keep him safe.

I would lay down my life for all my boys . . . I would go to war and be on the front line to protect them. But I don't think they allow Moms to go to war in place of their boys . . . I don't think they let moms attend boot camp with their sons, and bring them cookies and make sure they have clean socks and warm clothes and full belly . . . I don't think they let moms come and make sure that they are associated with good people and that they do the right thing, and get a good nights sleep.

So what does a mom do when her child goes away to the military . . . cry, worry, ache . . . I guess if he goes, that's what I will do . . .

With all that said, I guess I'm back to my original thought. If the military is so great, you send your kids, and leave mine here, and I will happily mail the cookies to your child, because I want mine here with me.

5 comments:

  1. I sense the pit bull coming out to play. I think everyone is too afraid to post a message. LOL! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it is pretty scary when you start off a post with a disclaimer . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I feel the same way. I dont believe in war or any thing that remotely resembles it. I believe there is a better way, but we have a partrich society and that is their instinct... fight first.
    I hope Tony changes his mind, but if he doesnt I wlll be with you to support him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your support lorinda . . . that means a lot to me. If he really does go, it will be so hard on me . . . I don't know what I will do. . . . especailly now with Tim gone . . . I can't imagine Tony gone too.

    ReplyDelete