Sunday, January 18, 2009

Kendra and the belly




Yesterday I got to spend some time with my friend Kendra . . . it was so exciting! I adore Kendra, we go WAY back.

When Alex was just a tiny sprout, about 18 months, we moved into our first house, and Kendra, and her sister Gennae moved in next door. Kendra was 11, and Gennae was 12, Kendra became Alex's best friend!
She baby sat him all the time and when ever she was out of school she would come over and visit him and he would call her "Kenna" and take her hand and pick a book and drag her into the little tent he had in his room, and she would read to him.


So as Alex has gotten older she has always felt as thought "Alex was her boy" Gennae was always closer with Tony . . . Its funny to me to see how quickly time goes by, because I "know" in my heart, the boys are still little, but I think sometimes Kendra and Gennae are also those little girls that moved in next door to me. I was with them for all of their major life events, first days of school, graduations, marriages (This is Gennae's wedding picture)
and babies. . . (Kendra is due in June with a fantastic baby boy)

I guess this is another of those moments where I am feeling as time has gone by too fast. Even though there is a decade or so separating me and the girls in age, They are some of the best friends I have ever had.

So with me being Blue lately, I think the girls decided I needed an outing . . . (Too sweet) Kendra called me and asked me to go on a "Date" with her. So we met up at the movie theater and watched Bride wars, it was cute! Then we came home to my house and sat and talked, its super nice when you have someone in your life who you have such history with that knows "almost all your stories" and who you can say something to and they know where it's going and how you feel.

It was really a great night . . . and I enjoy having time with her so much.

I have been making baby blankets for the baby and couldn't decide which one I wanted to give her, so I showed the two I was thinking of, and she looked at them, and then smiled at me, "I want them both!" ok . . . she can have them both, and probably 4 more because with Tim gone I have a lot of time on my hands, (The baby will never be cold). That's the funny thing with old friends is that they can tell you the truth and what they are really thinking and wanting . . . I love that!

This thought brings me full circle, this tiny baby in Kendra's belly, is hopefully going to be someone I get to spend a lot of time with, just like she spent time with Alex, I want to be that baby's "best friend", I want to crawl into its reading tent and read it stories, and go to the zoo, and play in the front yard with it in the sprinklers . . . I want to be the kind of friend to her baby as she was to Alex . . . I hope I have the opportunity.

So I want to thank Both Kendra and Gennae for being such great friends to me.

Also, I want to tell Gennae "Happy birthday, we thought about you a lot last night and wished that you were there with us celebrating your birthday, because we both miss you so much. Thank you so much for being a great friend to me. I love you."

And as for you Miss Kendra~ "You Rock!" :)

2 comments:

  1. Aww. Thanks Cheri! I missed you guys last night. I kept thinking if I didn't live so far away I would have been at the movie with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We thought the same thing too. . . . that it would have been fun to take you out to the movie for your birthday.

    Maybe next year! :)

    ReplyDelete