Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Happy Birthday Alex


Alex is 21 today!!!! Today it's official, my son is a MAN!

Today is my tribute to Alex! . . . ok, I'm allowed to be a "Gushing mom" "A Proud Mom"



When Alex played foot ball in High School, they had parent appreciation night . . . and this was one of those nights where I felt "my cup runneth over" I was so happy and proud of my boy. Just like I am every day . . . every day that I see what a great "MAN" he has become.

A little about my boy~ Alex was born in Maryvale Arizona. He was 8 pounds 10 and a half ounces. I thought he was going to be a girl, so I was very surprised when he popped out and was a boy. He was beautiful and perfect.

This is a picture with his "Great Grandpa Shorty". Shorty was in the nursing home with Alzheimer's, and they brought him outside to see all of us, and the orderly came out and said "Shorty, who are all these people?"

Shorty said, "I have NO Idea, but they are all here to see me!"

Alex was walking around in his walker on the patio and Shorty wanted to hold him. So we let him and Shorty kept saying "He sure is a heavy little fella!"


I really don't know how he got to be this old. In my minds eye, yesterday he was just this little sprout, with the longest legs I had ever seen on a child. His legs went all the way up to under his neck, and then he had a head! :) He was sweet, and thoughtful, inquisitive and kind.


This is a picture at Tony's 1st birthday party. Alex, Colton and Sean were supposed to be painting pictures on poster board, but decided to paint each other instead. Too cute!!!

He has had a hard time the last few years. When he turned 18 he was super excited, he figured he was an adult.

18th Birthday on the 21st.
Cut his hair in to a Mohawk on the 23,


and then cut his finger off on the 25 . . .


It was a wild week for us. (That's the understatement of the year!)

his first official signature was done with his left hand since his right was all bandaged up.

He had to quit welding school because of seizures, and it kind of threw his life into a tail spin. He knew exactly what he wanted to do, and then he couldn't. Now with the seizures managed, the doctor is thinking to clear him for welding school again. (I'm both excited and terrified by that prospect.) He would like to go to Ohio to some fancy schmancy school there. (needless to say, I don't want him to go either . . . I'm kind of one of those moms who wants to keep her kids with her all the time.

My boy has always marched to the beat of a different drummer. He is a little "quirky"


My son, the "PRINCESS?????"

A self portrait~ He took it when he got bored at Christmas eve dinner.



Alex and his friend Eddie had to get up and speak at a foot ball banquet, and Alex tied his tie around his head and went up to speak . . .

He's silly and strange and wonderful! I love this boy so much . . . UGH! I guess I can't call him a "Boy" any more . . . well, maybe I can, he will always be "MY LITTLE BOY"

He was at work yesterday and texting me.

"how do you feel having a son who is 21?" He said to me

"You are not 21 yet!"

"ok tomorrow I will be 21, do you feel old?" (He's a punk!!! )

"I called the Easter bunny and Santa Claus and told them you were bad this year, so your birthday has been cancelled. You don't get to be 21" This is my standard answer every year!

"Well then I guess you get 2 birthdays this year, so you will be REALLY old!!!"

He's pretty funny!

I guess a lot of kids would want to go out to a bar and drink, but my son is silly, he called up the other day and asked me if the stock show was still in town, I told him yes, so he wants to go to the stock show for his birthday and walk around with a beer and look at the animals. (Just so you know, he has never been a rural kind of kid) so I thought it was pretty funny!

Happy birthday Alex! you are much loved by all of us!

2 comments:

  1. Oh! What a great post! You know, Alex is a lot like you! He likes to be silly and have a good time. He's always been a sweet and nice boy. I get to still call him a boy. I told my husband this morning...I can't believe Alex is 21 today. That doesn't seem right, being that he was 1 year old when I met him. I still remember the day he fell out of the living room window wearing nothing but his diaper! Crazy kid! Today is a day to be proud! He has a bright future ahead of him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that day too . . . I also have a video of you and him playing and tickling each other, and he went to tickle you and tickled your boob!

    ReplyDelete