Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hero

"There's a hero If you look inside your heart You don't have to be afraid Of what you are There's an answer If you reach into your soul And the sorrow that you know Will melt away And then a hero comes along With the strength to carry on And you cast your fears aside And you know you can survive So when you feel like hope is gone Look inside you and be strong And you'll finally see the truth That a hero lies in you It's a long road When you face the world alone No one reaches out a hand For you to hold You can find love If you search within yourself And the emptiness you felt Will disappear And then a hero comes along With the strength to carry on And you cast your fears aside And you know you can survive So when you feel like hope is gone Look inside you and be strong And you'll finally see the truth That a hero lies in you Lord knows Dreams are hard to follow But don't let anyone Tear them away Hold on There will be tomorrow In time You'll find the way And then a hero comes along With the strength to carry on And you cast your fears aside And you know you can survive So when you feel like hope is gone Look inside you and be strong And you'll finally see the truth That a hero lies in you" Song by Mariah Carey.

What is a hero? Do you know? Can you tell me?

I realize there are so many people that can/could be called a hero . . . our soldiers (they are heroes for sure), police men, firemen, Paramedics . . . doctors . . .

What about the friend who answers the phone in the middle of the night, to someone close to them, when they have been sober for 15 years and want to take their first drink?

What about someone who stops traffic on a busy street so that a family of Ducks can cross the street? Are they a hero?

What about the person who offers to drive an elderly person home from the store?

What is a hero?

Could a hero be~ Someone who is woke up to someone screaming their name, and rushes out of their room in to another room to where a girl is laying on a bed partially clothed and not breathing. And that person, revives them, and covers them, and saves them? Is that a hero?

Does everything else that might be boarder line shady in their lives get banished for the good deed? They saved a life . . . should they have to pay consequences for little things . . . when they should be lauded for being a hero and saving the life of another human. The girl would be dead, if it were not for this person . . . she would have died from a drug overdose. Her family would be grieving, and hurting for the rest of their lives . . . they would miss her forever, they would grieve her as I grieve Thomas . . . that gaping empty hole in my heart and life where he once was, would be what this girls family would have to deal with.

Should that person, have to put his life in danger, to help catch the really bad people? part of me says yes, part of me says no. the part that says no, is the part of me who is this persons mom . . . I don't want to see my child put in danger. I would happily put my life in danger to save this child of mine. But do I want him to put his life on the line?? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO I don't want him to. Can he be protected from the truly bad people out there? I don't know. I don't know and I don't like it. I don't like it at all. This is my child . . . Even though he is grown, I don't want him to risk himself but there is no one else. The is no one else able to bring a bad guy to justice.

I guess if my boy was a cop, or in the military or something like that I would have to get used to him putting himself on the line . . . but he isn't . . .and I don't want to deal with it.

Can anyone just make this all go away?

No comments:

Post a Comment